Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 1994 14:28:48 EST
To those interested fans:
               Yesterday, my friend Sherry and I travelled to the
great Canadian capital to see Women's hockey: Us vs. Canada.
The game was fast, and by the passion with which they played, you
could tell this game meant a lot to the women players.  Probably more so
than their usual games with their home teams.
               The score was: Canada 3, Us 2.  One of the US goals
were disallowed due to players in the crease at the time of the goal;
thereby preventing a tied game.  I was amazed at the fans present at
the arena for women's hoceky is not that popular in the US.  I was
also alarmed at the ignorance of hockey (in general) that some of the
fans around me possessed.  And the fact that people around me called
it girl's hockey versus womens was not benificial to giving respect to
women's hockey like it deserves.  If these players were 16 or 17 years
old, "girl's hockey" would have been fine, but we are dealing with
players 22, 23, etc. years old.  These are women, not girls.
             Anyway, the crowd was very supportive.  Erin Whitten was
named the MVP for the US, and Manon Rheaume was named the MVP for the
Canadians.  I was impressed by the finesse and the flexibility in which
these women played hockey.  I was disturbed (again) by the rule in
which women are not allowed to check each other.  With the exception
of goalies, I realize that women hockey players do not possess the upper
body strenght in which to play at the NHL level.  BUT why do the
officials of women's hockey insist that checking be disallowed amongst
the women players?  I know of several female players who have quit to
join amateur men's teams because their style of play is too rough
according to the rules.  If checking were allowed, I believe that
women's hockey would gain more publicity, respect, and fans.
        While my friend and I were up there watching hockey, we met
John Edwards of Carelton from the hockey net.  He is a really nice guy,
and quite funny.  He great to meet.  I suggest that if your ever in
Ottawa to give hime a call, or to arrange to meet him there.  Thanks
John for the wondergul company you provided us with last night.
                                      Good luck with everyone's final,
                                                   Pam/Mud
P.S. Just for the curious:  Slu '94 graduate co-captain Mike Allain is
trying his best to get into grad school: he wants to become a doctor.
With his grades, he should be able to pick ANY school he wants.  The man
is a genius.