From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 1994 04:45:18 -0400
Last week, I posted a message asking if anyone knew the last time that
RPI lost two straight games by shutouts before losing to harvard in the
ECAC final and then to UNH in the NC$$ first round.  At the time I
stated that I had looked through RPI press guides and it hasn't
happened since at least 83-84.  While looking for something else at
home, I found a collection of NC$$ Hockey yearbooks (or whatever they
are called, I think that they don't publish them any more), from 1968
through 1981.  These contain complete game by game scores for each NC$$
team for the previous year.  From the 1968 book, RPI was shutout twice
in a row in 1965-66 (more about that in a minute).  They were never
shutout twice in a row from the 1966-67 season through 1979-80.  This
leaves the four years 1980/1, 1981/2, 1982/3, and 1983/4 unaccounted
for.  Although I doubt that they were shutout in consecutive games in
any of these seasons, it is possible.

Anyway, in the second and third games of the 1965-66 season RPI was
shutout by BC 9-0 and St. Lawrence 4-0.  These were two of the five
shutouts that RPI received in a 3-19 season, the others being 9-0 to
BU, 14-0 to Northeastern, and 13-0 when they played SLU in Canton.  As
RPI did not play Harvard that year, they were shutout by a combined
32-0 against the three Boston teams they did play (ouch!).  The BU game
was the game that Dick Greenlaw made 72 saves which I think is still a
team record.  They also lost to Clarkson 16-1 in the last game of the
season.  The three victories were against Penn, at that time a club
team, and Middlebury and Hamilton, two ECAC-II teams.

Ralph Baer RPI '68, '70, '74