From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 1994 08:59:00 PST
After some struggle, I decided that I would write this response directly to
Coach Walsh.  I do not mean whether I would e-mail solely to Coach Walsh, I
fully intended this to go to the list at large, but whether the grammar
should be structured as if I were writing a personal letter to the coach, or
simply a message to the list in which I refer to Coach Walsh.  So, here is
my personal note intended for Coach Walsh, but available for anyone who is
interested.

Coach Walsh...

First, I want to thank you for your message.  Not all coaches have or are
willing to give time to the average fan.  I hope that you have an
opportunity to read my response.

For those on Hockey-L who have forgotten, or didn't bother reading it the
first time, I'm including a copy of my original post that you have referred
to.

  ----------

[SUBJECT: Re: Hockey News on Kariya, Ferraro's....
Pat Ellis writes...
>Just got my copy of the Hockey News....  Their a piece in their
>that claims that according to THN's "Source" (close to Walsh) Walsh
>has spoken personally with all three, and that he has convinced them
>to come back, saying that with them they can win another Championship.
>
>   Now what was unclear to me, was whether it was, come back this
>year and win, or come back next year (with a now seasoned team Plus
>Chris Imes...) and win the Championship....

The implication was that they would return this season.  The article said
that "Walsh convinced them a return would ensure a second straight National
Collegiate Athletic Association championship".

I've never met Shawn Walsh, and this particular comment isn't attributed to
Walsh, but to a "source close to the Black Bears".  However, this is the
kind of press that always paints Walsh as an arrogant jerk.

I'm not passing judgment on Walsh.  I'm sure his larger than life persona
has been blown up some by the media.  But just ONCE, it would be refreshing
to see him quoted as saying that he has a good team, they'll be competitive
and they have a shot at a title, not that they're God's gift to hockey.

I wonder.  If Walsh were to say something sincere and non-controversial,
would the media bother to print it?  It wouldn't fit the image (P.T.
Barnum?) that has been created for him.

As for the possible return of Kariya and Ferraro*2, that would certainly
make Maine one of the favorites for a post-season HE title, which would get
them into the NC$$.  At that point, they'd definitely be considered a threat
to repeat.  I would like to see them in.  Any national championship
tournament is somewhat hollow if the defending champs aren't participating.

  John H
  U Mich

  [END ORIGINAL POST]
  ----------

Now for my follow-up comments: [or defense, as it may seem :-]

[RE: THE THN QUOTE]
You say that you can't believe I "believed some writer verbatim".  Honestly,
in my mind I did believe that you might say something to that effect, but
that's not the issue.  I was simply quoting from THE HOCKEY NEWS.  The quote
was in response to Pat Ellis' question as to which season THN was referring
to.  And yes, it made a perfect lead-in to my comments which followed.

[RE: STAN FISCHLER]
I don't remember if the THN piece was from Fischler or Larry Mahoney.  I
think that you're right, and it was Fischler.  Not being in hockey's inner
circle (other than Hockey-L :-), I'm unaware of what relationship you may
have with either author.  As for Stan not knowing "a hoot about college
hockey", you'll get no argument from me.  I sometimes wonder if Fischler
knows one-quarter of what he thinks he knows about the NHL, too.

[RE: PUTTING PASSION INTO POSTINGS, BEING POTENTIALLY LIABLE AND CARRYING
SCHOOL COLORS A LITTLE TOO FAR IN MAKING OPINIONATED STATEMENTS]
Well, I'm definitely guilty of putting passion into my postings.  To quote
Manon Rheaume, "Hockey is my passion."  (No special significance, I just
like to type Manon Rheaume. :-)  And I'm definitely opinionated.  And I've
said many things on Hockey-L that I now wish I hadn't said, particularly
when I first joined the list.  But my original post doesn't strike me in
that manner.  And I don't view it as containing anything that I will be
potentially liable for.  (I would go as far as arguing that you libeled Stan
Fischler more so than I libeled you, but that's also not at issue.)  My
opinion hasn't changed.  I still think that the media, at least the media
that I'm immediately exposed to, paints you as an arrogant jerk.  I'm
uncertain of how valid or deserving that assessment is, because I don't know
you.  However, given your track record and the media's track record, I will
give you the benefit of the doubt. :-)  This IS what I am guilty of.  In my
mind, I haven't been rightfully giving you the benefit of the doubt.  For
this I apologize directly.  Whenever a Shawn Walsh story or quote comes to
my attention, I instantly think back to your comment on ESPN last season of
"Michigan can run, but they can't hide."  In my mind, this reflected the
attitude of a sore winner.  I haven't forgiven you for that comment, but I
think it is time to now.  As for the other comments in my post, my tone was
admittedly negative (again, I wasn't giving you the benefit of the doubt),
but if you re-read my message I hope that you'll see that I was particularly
dumping on the media for always casting you in a negative light and doing so
with vigor.  Remember, all of my contact with you has been via the media,
mostly the print media, and I haven't seen the positive side of Shawn Walsh.

I didn't mean to imply, which my post may have done, that you don't have a
positive side.  Several people in college hockey that I respect very highly
hold you in high regard.  Maybe I should listen to my friends more that I do
the self proclaimed experts.

Also, I wish to reiterate that I in no way represent the University of
Michigan on Hockey-L.  I bleed maize and blue, but I speak only for myself.

[RE: P.T. BARNUM]
After my original post, I received approximately 30 messages from angry
Maine fans.  Most of them were upset that I would create this media image of
you and label you a P.T. Barnum.  So, for their benefit as well as mine, I
was able to dig up a couple of sources.  I wish I had quick access to
others, they certainly exist.

  ----------
  [EXCERPT FROM A ZACK HEMOND POST ON HOCKEY-L LAST SPRING]

Lastly, I was also unaware of the animosity that others in and around
college hockey supposedly have toward Shawn Walsh.  However, I saw it termed
this way in the Sunday Detroit News - Free Press.  Walsh is very sucessful
but many don't like his P.T. Barnum approach to promoting the game.

  ----------
  [EXCERPTS FROM A MILWAUKEE SENTINEL ARTICLE WRITTEN BY MICHAEL HUNT]

For two brainstorming days this past summer, old buddies Jeff Jackson and
Shawn Walsh hunkered down in the bowels of a Northwestern Michigan College
dormitory, talking hockey, sharing philosophies and swapping lies.

Walsh, the P.T. Barnum of his game, recognizes college hockey's
entertainment value is what will make it a viable commodity with the
consumer.

That's why his players will take the ice Saturday night with helmets off, so
the fans can get a look at their faces.  That's why he played the crowd
after Friday's [actually, Thursday's] semifinal victory against Michigan,
pumping his fist toward the stands.  That's why he asks for tickets for
Stephen King.

Like [Ron] Mason, Walsh has a brash side which has alienated him from some
of his peers.  "It's a very, very competitive arena," Walsh said.  "I would
rather be liked by people like Jeff Jackson than some of the people who
dislike me."

  [END QUOTED MATERIAL]
  ----------

So, hopefully for the last time, let me say to all Maine Hockey-L'ers that
I didn't start the P.T. Barnum thing.  And I'm not the originator of the
idea that Coach Walsh isn't loved by all.  Whew.  Note, the above is not
directed toward anyone in particular, I just received so many messages I'm
not sure that I satisfactorily answered them all.

Also, the Detroit News & Free Press is the only paper I have home delivered.

They rarely say anything about you, but when they have I don't remember any
of it being positive, outside of your on-ice success.  No excuses, I'm just
trying to set the scene that I'm in.  You don't walk around the Ann Arbor
area hearing positive things about Shawn Walsh flowing freely.

My bottom line is this:

  -  I plead innocent of making over opinionated statements about you
     directly.

  -  I plead guilty of not giving you the benefit of the doubt in these
     matters, guilty of digesting too much Midwestern media, and guilty of
     over associating "Shawn Walsh" with "Michigan can run, but they can't
     hide."

  -  I'm happy to start clean if you are.

Now, for the FUN stuff!

Thank you for the kind words you had for the majority of my postings.  The
Merrimack trip was truly a pleasure, and something that I never would have
experienced without Hockey-L.  I was actually being wooed to pay a visit to
Orono by the Boston area crowd.  We figured that it would be a rare event,
a CCHA fan from Ann Arbor travelling to the Western most (Fairbanks AK) and
Eastern most (Orono ME) points in Division I in the same season.  But, I'm
happy to settle for Fairbanks and Boston this year.  Orono is still in the
future plans!

I had to include the paragraph mentioning Northwestern Michigan College
above because I went to NMC for two years before transferring to Michigan.
I've hunkered in the bowels of the dorms, talked hockey, shared philosophies
and swapped lies there too, but the Milwaukee Sentinel didn't write about it
when I did it. :-)

I have every intention of being in St Paul and taking you up on your offer.
Charlie Shub beat me to the punch in inviting you to a Hockey-L gathering,
so I'll second it emphatically.  If your schedule allows, please join the
gang for a burger and beer.  I'd also like to chat with you one-on-one, but
if you don't have the time for multiple event/discussions I suggest giving
the Hockey-L gathering a much higher priority.

Thanks again for your post.  Hopefully for me, "Shawn Walsh" will soon be
synonymous with "Damn, that was a great time we had together in St Paul!"

And, I won't tell anyone that I have University of Maine Black Bear 1993
National Champion Coke bottles on display in my home if you don't. :-)
(Thank you, Charlie!)

Best wishes,

  John Haeussler
  Univ of Michigan '89,'90
"I'd rather have the respect of both Shawn Walsh and Jeff Jackson, than
neither of them, or just one."

P.S. A hearty thanks to those who came to my defense, either in full or in
part, either publicly or privately.  Thanks.