Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 1994 07:56:07 EST
     First off,  to anyone who has coached hockey at whatever level -- youth
levels on up -- Coach Walsh's account of the BU game has tremendous
credibility.   It's just VERY gratifying to know that the big boys are
fallible too :-):-)

     I would like to echo both Coach Walsh's and Mike Machnik's sentiments
that there is entirely too much interference in the game today.   It slows
the flow,  and to allow it penalizes good agressive forechecking amoung
other things.   The counter-argument is that implementation of a crack-
down would be next to impossible.   Oh yeah?   You'd be surprised to
see how fast the players would adjust.   I think Brian Farenell had a
recent post that made this point.   I too have ump'ed a fair amount of
baseball  --  and if you give the pitchers the black part of the plate,
the batters very quickly adjust.   The same would happen in hockey.

     -- Dick Tuthill