From:
Graeme Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graeme Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 1994 11:12:50 -0500
Having read all the weekend's posts about this last minute too-many-men
event, I noticed a general theme of "if it's in the last few seconds of
the game, what's to lose?".  Correct me if I'm wrong (as I'm sure you
will :)!), especially as my NCAA rule book is at home today, but isn't
the penalty for too many men within the last two minutes of regular
play or anytime in OT a penalty shot?  Granted that a penalty shot
comes with no guarantees of success (what is the 'average' success
rate?), but it's surely a lot riskier than a mere 5 on 4 (or even
5 on 3 as would have been in the Maine case) for a few seconds of
play.

Graeme Bailey.