Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 1994 11:14:00 PST
Jill Maser writes...
>Question for the rule book folks:
>
>Last week someone (sorry, I forget who) asked:  if two unrelated penalties
>are called at the same time, do the teams skate five-aside?  My original
>reaction was:  no--the penalties are not coincidental.  Several emphatic
>"yes" postings arrived before I could send in my answer, so I didn't.
>
>Last night I was sorta watching the Flyers-Nordiques game.  After a Flyer
>was checked from behind into the boards, "Wonder-boy" Koharski raised his
>arm for the delayed call.  When play finally stopped (I don't know if it
>was due to the Nordiques gaining control, or the Flyers' Racine being
>unconscious long enough) another Flyer hears Koharski's call for a 2-minute
>roughing minor.  Out of frustration, the Flyer took down the original
>offender.  A second 2-minute roughing call was made.
>
>The teams skated 4-aside.
>
>Are the rules different?

Yes indeedy-doody.  A couple of years ago, this would result in a 4-on-4 in
college and a 5-on-5 in the NHL.  But, they've flip-flopped.  Now, the NHL
takes two men (or women) off the ice for coincidentals but college doesn't.

I prefer seeing 4-on-4's and even 3-on-3's, but I can see the argument
against them in college hockey.  IMHO, this favors the more talented team,
and there is a larger variance in college than in the NHL with regard to
talent level from team to team.  For example, with no offense intended to
the Irish: putting Michigan and Notre Dame in a 3-on-3 situation is almost
giving Michigan a goal, maybe two.  Keeping them at 5-on-5 favors ND,
relatively speaking.  Hence, I agree with the current rule.  I don't want
the game to be decided by 3-on-3 or 4-on-3 goals.

Final note, back in the mid-80s the NHL was taking two men off for
coincidentals, but Edmonton was killing everyone 4-on-4, so they changed the
rule.  At the time, staying 5-on-5 was known as "The Edmonton Rule."  The
NHL has since switched back.

  John H
  U Mich
  GO Blue! GO OILERS!