Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 91 19:30:45 EST
Sid writes:
>                    First of all, I was in Detroit in '85 to see the
>Final Four and I remember the RPI-Providence game well. And I will
>admit that George Servinis ( the RPI forward who was on the face-off)
>was blatantly off-sides. Why the ref (I forget who it was) never
>called it, I don't know. However, I don't believe that the game hinged
>solely on that play.

    I don't know how any game can hinge more on one play than that
    game did.  The final score ended up 2-1, and Servinis dashing
    offsides resulted in a breakaway for the game-winner.  Who can
    say what would have happened if the play had not occurred?

>                      Chris Terreri (sp?) and Daren Puppa turned in
>spectaular performances for Providence and RPI in goal. But I believe that
>RPI, coming off the heels of a triple-overtime victory over Minnesota-
>Duluth, was not going to let Providence win under any circumstances.
>So if that goal (Servinis') had been disallowed, the Engineers probably
>would have found another way.

    Ah, you may be correct - but we won't know, will we?  I also think
    RPI would have won, but The Octopus was so sparkling in the Friar
    net, it took a play like that to beat him.  You never know with a hot
    goalie like Terreri and a team playing on emotion like Providence.

>                              Also, Mike mentioned the fact that RPI
>didn't meet anybody of any great calibre on their road to the
>championship. I can't help but disagree with that statement; RPI had
>to play #1 seeded Minnesota-Duluth to get to the championship game.
>The game went into triple overtime and lasted well over four hours.
>To say that UMD in 84-85 was not a championship-calibre team is
>simply untrue.

    I should correct this slightly - actually I said that RPI didn't
    meet anyone of Minnesota's caliber, as the Gophers prevented a
    strong BC team from reaching the Final Four in 1987.  I didn't mean
    to imply that UMD was not a good team, just that I thought overall
    Minnesota in 1987 was better.  However, I will concede that UMD
    was a championship-caliber team in 1985 and that RPI did prove
    itself by beating the Bulldogs; you are correct there.  (BTW, I
    have that game on tape too - Carter's ot goal...)

    - mike