Sender:
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 1994 12:42:36 -0500
From the Jan 9 Ann Arbor News:
By Dan Gretzner II

 " Bring out the brooms.
   The No. 1-ranked University of Michigan hockey team swept No. 2 Lake
Superior State for the first time in history when the Wolverines powered their
way to a 5-2 victory Saturday.
   Michigan scored four unanswered goals in the second period to lead 5-1 after
two and earn its first multi-game, regular-season sweep of LSSU.  The teams
have played each other in a multi-game series every year since the 1981-82
season.
   U-M improved to 20-0-1(this should be 20-1-1) and 15-0-1 in the Central
Collegiate Hockey Association.  LSSU fell to 15-7-0 and 9-6-0.
   "That's a big accomplishment for our team," U-M coach Red Berenson said of
the sweep. "They've been a tough team ever since I've been at Michigan (10
years).  We've gotten better.  It's a real tribute to our team this year."
   Special teams were the difference.  The Wolverines scored on their first
four power-play opportunities as David Oliver (two goals), Warren Luhning and
Mike Knuble each found the back of the net.
   Sean Tallaire and Mike Morin scored for a powerless LSSU.
   "I thought our penalty killers and (goalie) Steve Shields kept us in the
game," Berenson said, "And our power play helped us win."
   Oliver scored the first goal of the game on U-M's first power-play at 1:54
of the first.  Then U-M killed off three penalties before the Lakers scored on
their fourth try to tie the game 1-1, 7:24 into the second.
   "I think in the beginning we started frustrating them, and after a while
they weren't making the plays because thery were frustrated," said U-M senior
Mike Stone, whom Berenson calls the best penalty killer in the league, maybe
the nation. "It got to the point where they couldn't do anything.  The power
play was the difference in the game."
   U-M forwards Stone, Rick Willis, Luhning, Ron Sacka and Kevin Hilton took
turns pressuring LSSU's power-play unit while all six defensemen also
contributed.
   LSSU coach Jeff Jackson was impressed with Michigan's power play and senior
right wing Oliver.
   "Their power play is devastating and Steve Shields is playing outstanding,"
Jackson said. "What more can you ask? Good power play, good goaltender and a
superstar player like David Oliver.
   "Right now David Oliver is by far the best player I've seen in college
hockey this year."
   LSSU, on the other hand, probably ended its hope of a league title by not
winning this weekend.
   "We have to concentrate on trying to finish second," Jackson said. "We
control our own destiny in that regard.  I don't put that much emphasis on the
regular-season title.  It's more important that my team gets better and they're
a better team at the end of the year."