Sender:
From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 1994 11:48:53 EST
I totally agree with Mike about the WHRB announcers.  They are
horrid.  Not only do they whine the whole game, it is impossible
to know what is happening on the ice.  In the past, some of the
students doing the Harvard games have been really good.  They
were critical and gave a good dialog of what was happening during
the match.  But for the last couple of years we have had these
guys.  Last summer the rumour, via BU, was that Harvard was going
to go with "pro announcers" as the alumni were upset with the
radio broadcasts.  Obviously, nothing came of that.  I use to
listen to all the Harvard away games, now I tune in at the end
for the score.

Tripp Tracy does appear to be having a tough second season.  He is
getting caught out of position time and again.  Israel is playing
very well.  At this point it looks like the team always plays
better in front of Aaron, and for whatever reason has a harder
time playing in front of Tripp.  That is the opposite of last
year.  My guess is that Harvard will continue to rotate its two
goalies, unless Tracy really has major problems.

It appears that Harvard is changing its lines around.  I heard
Martins playing with Holmes and Gustafson last night.  It is hard
to say as Halfnight and Karmanos are still not back from World
Junior duty.  This weekend's games against St. Lawrence and Clarkson
should tell a lot.  I would unite Martins, Farrell and Gustafson,
but than I like playing strength with strength.

Gustafson now has about 14 goals this season, which is more like the
amount of scoring I see him capable of.  In the past he has been
the digger in the corners, and as others have written, somewhat of
a goon.  Cory does have a Saskatchewan feisty side.  However I feel
his talents have been wasted in past years.  This year his role is
to score, and he is playing better most of the time.  I feel if he
kept his feet moving, and his mind on scoring, he could be a terrific
player.  He is like Martins (roomys I might add) in that both seem
to like to fight back, instead of getting on with it, and scoring
goals.  If both ever got scoring as their only ambition, Harvard
would be much stronger.  In an interview Gustafson was saying that
he believes his increased scoring has to do with his stick.  It
seems that he was using a large curve and always waiting for the
puck to get in just the right pocket to let it rip.  Well that takes
too much time in college hockey, so now he is using an almost straight
stick.  He says that he can get passes better, and just snap the puck
on goal, and while the speed of the puck is not as good, the goalies
are getting beat by the release.  I would observe that he is getting
himself in scoring positions more often, and that he is having a go
instead of passing off.  Against the Larrys and Knights he will need
a quick release: should be a great weekend.

The best news for Harvard hockey fans is that Brad Konik will be back
next year.  I heard an interview with him, and the rehab on his knee
has gone well.  He is now doing exercises to strengthen it more, and
starting to play hockey out in Minnesota.  He sounded very positive
about his knee.  With him back next year, Harvard could have a better
offense.  I would love to see the roomy line of Gustafson, Konik and
Martins.  Given the chance/direction, they could score a few goals
and in bizzare ways (I hope!).

/
 good shooting
 rhun