Sender:
From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1993 08:49:59 EST
Mark Grassl writes:
>I am glad that hockey haas feeder leagues such as Junior A & B leagues
>and minor league pros.  At the very least it gives hockey players a
>choice.  Hopefully, in return, we get players who want to be in college.

I think you are only partly right. In Canada, you are correct, that someone
who wants to get to the NHL has two ways to go, Major Jr. or college. But
in the US, the NCAA is still the primary route for players wanting to play
in the NHL. You mentioned Jr. A & B leagues, so far as I know, in the US
it is not really a direct route to the NHL. A player still has to go through
a college in order to get to the NHL. Minor pros are for after a player has
been drafted and signed, and are not normally a route to the NHL for a
young player. What I mean is that a 17-year-old coming out of high school
doesn't usually have the choice of the IHL or St. Cloud State, to use and
example.

I realize that more American players are playing Major Junior in Canada,
but the number is still small enough that one can say that the main route
for a young American who wants to go pro is through the college level.

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards                 I'M HOME!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-)
Poli Sci/Law III      GO CATS GO!!! (9-22)     TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!!! (5-9)