Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1993 16:56:00 PST
Glenn Gale writes...
>     The PA announcer isn't obligated to announce the end of a penalty
>at all, and I don't think they do in arenas where I've seen games.  It
>should be pretty obvious to just about everyone that the penalty is
>over, as long as the penalty time is posted on the scoreboard.  If they
>want to curtail the chant, they could just stop announcing the end of
>penalties.

A couple people have mentioned that this (announcing the end of a power
play) is much more prevalent in the West than in the East.

>     I don't know why this should be considered an "alarming trend,"
>unless one simply enjoys hearing that particular chant.  It isn't
>censorship, and I'm sure the crowd is creative enough to devise other
>contexts in which to use the same language with equal gusto.

Well, I did enjoy the chant.  :-)

And, while it isn't censorship, it does *appear* to be a deliberate attempt
to demonstrate disapproval by altering the set-up line.

Hopefully, the 'M' fans are up to the challenge to come up with a new cheer.
 It doesn't necessarily need the same language, just the same zest and
participation.  Many hockey cheers are "stolen" from another school, and
since Michigan doesn't have any new or seldom seen opponents coming to town
for at least the next 3 years I guess we will have to originate one.

AhhhhHHHH C-YA!  :-)

  John H
  U Mich