Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1993 15:56:00 PST
First some unfortunate updates regarding the Felsner family.  I received
them from a reliable source, so I assume everything to be correct.

Denny Felsner (Michigan's all-time leading scorer, currently in the St Louis
Blues organization) has re-broken the leg that kept him out of action
earlier this season.  This is Denny's second year in professional hockey and
his second season marred by injury.  In the 3 games he did play last month
(with Peoria) he had 3 goals.

Brian Felsner (a freshman forward at Lake Superior) was recently involved in
an automobile accident.  I don't have any details, but the general sound of
the third-hand story I received was that he is hurt pretty bad.

If anyone on the list is from the Mt Clemens MI area, please pass along any
info that may have appeared in the local paper.

On a MUCH less serious topic, Steve Phillips writes...
>And a side note:  Many thanks to John Haeussler for his timely, complete,
>and insightful commentary on Michigan hockey.  I hope to be able to run
into
>you at Yost this year.  Maybe I'll be able to find you in the crowd by
>process of elimination -- You're the only one who doesn't curse at the
>officials!  :)

Believe me, I do.  I just keep it to myself.  I'm probably one of the most
obnoxious persons at Yost Arena, and I know that I often piss off the
opposing coaches and players (which is generally the intent).  But, I
developed the following philosophy a few years ago: if people don't
appreciate good, *clean*, LOUD heckling, then they shouldn't be at a hockey
game...but NO ONE comes to hear me swear and foul language does make the
game less enjoyable for many fans, so why use it?

My wife, friends and I have had a running debate (for about 2 years) on
whether the word "suck" should be used.  They think it's fair game, but I
*try* to avoid it other than it's use in standard arena-wide cheers.

Which brings me to another comment (sorry).  In Ann Arbor, when Michigan
fails to convert on the power play and the PA announces that the opposition
is again at full strength, about 3000 people respond, "AND THEY STILL SUCK!"
 But this Saturday, I noticed an alarming trend.  For years, the PA
announcer would say, "UIC (or whoever we're playing), full strength" which
would result in the above response.  On Saturday, whenever UIC came out of
the box the PA announcer said, "Both teams, full strength."  It certainly
curtailed the cheer.  I wonder if this was mandated by the university
because it didn't approve of the chant.  Anyone?  One did manage to occur,
because it was a 4-on-4 and UIC was coming out of the box first.  Since both
teams wouldn't be at full strength, the PA man was forced to say, "UIC, full
strength" which brought a resounding response.

  John H
  U Mich