Sender:
From:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1993 14:16:36 -0500
Took a slow day to empty out my mail, and noticed that there
have been several attempts to explain Cornell's offensive anemia
this year, which is all the stranger considering that we're actually
skating a few competent forwards.  My own theory:

There are three great lessons of history:

1.  Never get involved in a land war in Asia.
2.  Never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

And finally:

3.  Never expect a Brian McCutcheon coached offense to score.

McCutcheon is a fine defensive coach.

McCutcheon is a masterful goaltending coach.

And McCutcheon couldn't find an offense with two hands and a
map... he's not a bad offensive coach - he isn't one AT ALL.  Since
his first day at Cornell, he has proceeded on the assumption that
being assured of holding your opponent to 2 goals is a more
successful strategy than being assured of scoring 4 yourself.

Whether or not you agree with his premise, there's no denying
that this is the reason for Cornell's low scoring.  It's just Brian.

Funny - it didn't seem nearly so boring or dreary a style when
Cornell was going .650, rather than .350.

Greg
Somerville
Happy Holidays to All!