Sender:
From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1993 10:51:26 -0600
John Haeussler posted:

>  UAF's proposal brings the Nanooks and Mankato State (or another school)
>into the WCHA together bringing the league's membership to 12.
>  Within the four-page proposal, UAF details how the league would be split
>into three four-team divisions (North, Central and West); how teams would
>play 28 league games (14 home, 14 away), including four against each
>divisional rival and two against all other schools; and how teams would be
>grouped in pairs as travel partners (UAF-UAA, Wisconsin-Minnesota, etc.).

The article didn't provide details of the three divisions or the travel
partners. It must work like this:

North:
   Michigan Tech & Northern Michigan
   Minnesota-Duluth & North Dakota

Central:
   Minnesota & Wisconsin
   St Cloud & Mankato State

West:
   Colorado College & Denver
   Alaska-Anchorage & Alaska-Fairbanks

This could work.  It's certainly worthy of consideration.  The biggest
problem I see is the potential travel problems between pairs host schools on
a given weekend.  Minneapolis--Madison and Duluth--Grand Forks are both 260
mile trips.  Winter storms could cause some difficult travel.

-- Erik