Sender:
From:
The Next Gretzky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1993 10:52:08 -0800
Paulette Dwen <[log in to unmask]> says:
>shoulders of the assistant coaches.  I realize that being head coach
>means you are ultimately responsible for everything, but isn't it the
>assistant coaches that do most of the leg work, traveling all over the
>place to get the best players they can?  What percentage of an assistant
>coach's job is recruiting?

I'd like to hear the answer to this as well.  It was also my understanding
that assistant coaches did most of the legwork.

>Recruiting at an Ivy League school is hard.  After all, what can Cornell
>offer a player, no scholarships, fewer games in a season, a hard academic
>program.

ex-coach Mike Shafer liked to give this quiz to his hockey classes
(groups of lousy players like me who would never make varsity) :
he would gather us around and ask, "What is the most important thing
to look for in a young player when recruiting for Cornell?"  After
we would shout out the obvious answers... "Speed", "Size", "Skating
ability", "Scoring ability"...  Mike would shake his head at each
response and wait until we ran out of ideas, at which time he would
smile and say, "his grades."   If he can't get into the school, there's
no point looking at his ability.

  I'd also like to hear if anyone knows more about that rumor that
the Red played "half speed" last year to get rid of McCutcheon.
Needless to say, that is a VERY disturbing thing to hear...

Jeff B.
Cornell '90                           Let's Go Red!!!!!!!