Sender:
From:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1993 11:33:53 -0500
Cornell product Joe Nieuwendyk scored three first period goals
last night en route to a 5 point game.  It was Joe's ninth hat trick
in the NHL; he had 8 for Cornell, including his memorable
good-bye (back to back hat tricks in career closing wins at home
against RPI and UVM).

Other observations:

It wasn't even the most goals he's scored in a period.  Joe shares
that NHL record of 4, part of a 5 goal effort against Winnipeg on
1/11/89 (also the Flames' record for most in a game).

I don't remember whether he had any assists in the five goal
game, or in his four goal game against Boston in 88.  I suspect 5 is
the most points he's scored in a pro game.

Finally, the boys at ESPN SportsCenter misidentified his feat as a
"natural hat trick".  The goals were not even consecutive for
Calgary, let alone both teams.

Joe now has 20 goals in 32 games.  His career high is 51. He
should be fine, provided he stays out of Europe.*

End of marginally college-related woof.

Greg
Boston
Let's Go Red!

* both serious injuries of his career sustained in European
competitions.