Sender:
From:
"Mark L. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1993 12:32:17 CST
There was a discussion on yesterday's list concerning hockey in Alabama.
(I'm only on the Digest, so maybe this has already been addressed earlier
today).  University of Alabama at Huntsville has a (supposedly) Division II
team.  My wife and I went to a game last year against Alaska-Fairbanks; the
offensive play was actually quite impressive - the defensive control, however,
needed a little work.  Anyway, as I understand it, this team used to be a
Division I independent (if I remember correctly, they came up to play North
Dakota in 1989 or 1990).  I have received season schedules for UAH each of the
last years, and I've noticed that they play almost no Division I opponentsthis
year (last year, almost all of their games were against Division I competition-
mostly in the CCHA).  I had heard when I was up there that they were thinking
about joining a conference - perhaps they moved down in Division in order to
do so?
    Anyway, there was another question concerning high school hockey in the
state.  I don't know anything about that level; but I saw quite a few kids
(10-13 years old, I guess) wearing jackets from various club/junior teams -
apparently, they've got quite a solid pee-wee/juniors club program going on
in the Huntsville area.  Hope this answers your questions

Mark L. Johnson
North Dakota, 91
Louisiana State, 95?

P.S. Both roller-blade and club ice hockey are huge down here.  We have a
regular roller-blade turnout of 20-30 every Tuesday night in Covington (a
rural suburb of New Orleans), plus Tulane has a club team which plays
away games only.