Sender:
From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1993 20:41:11 EST
Officially, Villanova is a Division I *school*. Thus, they have to be
Division I in all sports, except for maybe a few grandfather cases.

This includes hockey. Villanova is a Div I hockey program today. They
play in a league with Div II and III schools. They can win their league
championship.

But they cannot advance past that to the NCAA Div I tournament, because
they do not play 20 games in Division I (they play more like 7 Div I
games per year). Likewise, they can cannot go to the Div II or Div III
NCAA play-offs.

I don't think they offer many scholarships, if any.

I haven't heard this rumor about Villanova moving into ECAC Division I
before. I seriously question the likelihood that this upgrade would
happen. ECAC I has 12 teams now and adding a 13th would really screw up
the scheduling. (Maybe if RPI went to HEA...) Also, 'Nova hasn't really
been burning up the ECAC South--it would take some bucks to make them
competitive at the higher level. Not many schools have the money to
spend on (male) sports right now.

Yes, it COULD happen. But I haven't seen any schedules to indicate that
it is happening.

Keith