Sender:
From:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1993 10:57:08 -0600
John Haeussler writes:

>The ANN ARBOR NEWS article that I posted earlier has sparked discussion both
>on and off the list...here are my comments/views:

        This heated rivalry between Michigan and Wisconsin seems to be a bit
        one-sided.  I don't think many UW people, fans or players, find
        the rivalry with Michigan to be anything more than tough games
        against a quality opponent.  A couple of UW players, Shier and Rafalski,
        are from Michigan.  Maybe it means more to them.  Our heated rivalries
        are all with WCHA teams.

>                  I'd like to hear from someone at UW (David, Mark, et al)
>on what their views are, and if other clubs have pointed to the Badger's as
>being trash talkers.  Personally, I view the Badgers as having an "above the
>law" mentality.  'Hey, we can do anything we want, we're WISCONSIN.'

        I am not a close enough observer of the team to make any sweeping
        statements so take anything I say with a grain of salt.  IMO the
        Badgers over the last 3-4 years have definitely been big trash talkers.
        Unfortunately from my point of view, most people think this is
        normal for big time sports.  I hate it.  The local newspaper has
        referred to the recent rivalry with Denver as being fueled by
        trash talkers from both sides.

        On the other hand, seeing as how trash talking is relatively common
        these days I wonder if this has anything at all to do with the
        comments from Red Berenson.  Well I don't see much of anything
        happening with this UW-Michigan rivalry unless these teams do
        meet again soon.  The national championship game would be just
        fine with me too, John.  :-)

>  John H
>  U Mich
>  For David, Mark, et al...
>  Best Badger response from the Showcase:
>  (as a UW player is being escorted to the penalty box)
>  Michigan fans, "AHHHHHHHH...C-YA!!"
>  Wisconsin fan, "In Pasadena!"

        Great line.  Most of Madison is on pins and needles waiting for
        the game tonight in Tokyo.  Very nerveracking.

---mg

"Is this the way it's supposed to be
 A Poisoned Heart and a Twisted Memory"   ---  Richard Thompson