Sender:
From:
Jim Baines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 91 11:43:36 EST
I'm not exactly sure where you Gopher and Badger fans are drawing the
line.

From my perspective, if BU or BC played a western team in the NCAA
playoffs, of course I'm gonna route for our Hockey East counterpart
(as much as the thought makes me ill right now).  And, of course,
whoever Maine plays, I'm really gonna slander them (unless they make an
unquestionably good play).  And, if there are opposing fans in close
proximity, it's okay to give them a little ribbing.  I'm not talking
out-and-out slander towards them, just a few choice words, as long as
we all know it's all in good fun.  Unprovoked rudeness, however, is
uncalled for, and you don't really see much of it out here.

But there's something else, too.  Every time the opposing team scores
on Maine in the Alfond Arena, there's always this small crowd rising
in unicen and cheering for them, as there is at any other arena.  And
it hits me the same way every time.  I know they have a right to cheer
for whoever they want, but I always get this inner, silent rage toward
them.  It's kinda silly, but I just look at them with this thought of,
"how DARE you cheer for THEM in MAINE's arena."  Kinda like unwanted
guests, I suppose.  Of course, I never say anything; I just get this
pang of "grrrrrrrrr!"  I remember going to BU back in '87 for a two-
game weekend series (Maine beat BU 6-2 and 7-1), and sitting in a BU
cheering section with my then-girlfriend, I did not DARE say anything
pro-Maine, because I know how much I hate that feeling in MY arena
(yeah, and I was intimidated, too).

Kinda silly, aint it?  Am I the only one with this aggrevated-homeristic
affliction?

|Jim Baines, a.k.a. "Sportscaster",  BITNET: IO60312@MAINE           |
|"Fill the Steins to Dear Old Maine..."  GO BLACK BEARS!!!           |