Sender:
From:
John Feigal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 91 18:08:57 CDT

> Why do people have to have such attitudes? I was born in Wisconsin and went to
> school there. I've been to most WCHA cities for games and have been to the
 last
> 4 or 5 Final Four tournaments. I wear my red and white bibs and hockey jersey
 at
> them all. Some people see my jersey and tell me to go home, Wisconsin
 sucks,etc.
> Obviously, this is not a person I would like to go have a beer with, but I
 also
> don't say "All Minnesota fans are obnoxious and I'm never going to cheer for
> them" simply because this one person happens to be wearing a Minnesota shirt.
> I go to hockey games because I love hockey, meeting people from other parts
> of the nation, talking hockey and drinking beer. It's a game, and that's only
> part of the whole scene. I'm sure there have been Wisconsin fans who have
 abused
> Carol and there have been a fair share of Minnesota fans who have abused me.
 But
> what's the point? It just takes fun out of the game. I cheer like crazy for my
> team and don't abuse the other teams players or fans (well, okay, so I call
 the
> opposing team's goalie a sieve when he lets the puck go by) because that's
 what
> good sportsmanship is all about. I just wish more fans would act more mature.
> It would make the games alot more fun, which is what it's all about in my
 book.

I agree with the point you are making.  Your last two sentences say it all.

Unfortunately, not all fans are mature and/or rational at all times and
can make life uncomfortable for fans associated with "the other team"
whoever they may be.  Not all fans have your "tolerence for abuse" which
may be heaped upon you.  I can personally say that I have not always felt
physically safe when I attended a Minnesota/Wisconsin game in Dane
County arena.  Wisconsin fans have a great team loyalty and most are
probably nice persons (some even attend bar-b-ques with us in Mpls),
but once the puck is dropped, some seem to put
on their game face and are not the same people. It does not make for
a totally enjoyable experience.  Like you, I go for the hockey and not
the abuse.

When you buy a ticket, it doesn't say who you have to cheer for and that
you can't boo bad plays, calls, or certain players.  This means that
Carol doesn't have to cheer for Wisconsin if she doesn't want to
and Wisconsin fans don't have to cheer for Minnesota.  The Wisconsin
band even has the right to cheer against Minnesota (even when Wisconsin
is not playing Minnesota).  But as Carol said, it would be nice
to see some WCHA unity in tournament situations (I don't think
I'll live to see that day).
John J. Feigal
GO GOPHERS!