Sender:
From:
Dave 'Louie' LaPlant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 91 10:34:05 PDT
>I remember back to 1987 at Joe Louis Arena when we (Minn fans) cheered North
>Dakota on to beat Michigan State in the championship game.However, since that
>time when we have been to our league final four, almost all other fans cheer
>AGAINST Minnesota.
>It is rather a sore point with me and I have said it before
>and say it again, I will not cheer for a team that wouldn't give us the same
>respect. Naturally, it is beneficial for our league to win the national
>championship however there are two teams I definitely would NOT cheer for. One
>is Wisconsin and the other is North Dakota. We even have a VERY popular button
>here which reads: "I cheer for Minnesota and whoever is playing Wisconsin".
>
>  Carol White
>  U of M

Why do people have to have such attitudes? I was born in Wisconsin and went to
school there. I've been to most WCHA cities for games and have been to the last
4 or 5 Final Four tournaments. I wear my red and white bibs and hockey jersey at
them all. Some people see my jersey and tell me to go home, Wisconsin sucks,etc.
Obviously, this is not a person I would like to go have a beer with, but I also
don't say "All Minnesota fans are obnoxious and I'm never going to cheer for
them" simply because this one person happens to be wearing a Minnesota shirt.
I go to hockey games because I love hockey, meeting people from other parts
of the nation, talking hockey and drinking beer. It's a game, and that's only
part of the whole scene. I'm sure there have been Wisconsin fans who have abused
Carol and there have been a fair share of Minnesota fans who have abused me. But
what's the point? It just takes fun out of the game. I cheer like crazy for my
team and don't abuse the other teams players or fans (well, okay, so I call the
opposing team's goalie a sieve when he lets the puck go by) because that's what
good sportsmanship is all about. I just wish more fans would act more mature.
It would make the games alot more fun, which is what it's all about in my book.

Well, I've babbled enough. I'll see you all in St. Paul on March 28th. I'll be
with the other 11 guys dressed in red and white bibs. Oh, and Carol, as a good
will gesture and as a first step toward destroying the myth that all people
from Wisconsin hate people from Minnesota I hearby pledge to be nice to every
Gopher fan I meet at the tournament. I'll even buy you a beer. A beer brewed in
Wisconsin, of course.

Louie
"LETS......GO.......DRINK er,uh I mean RED!"
Dave "Louie" LaPlant			Phone: (415) 960-7311
Systems Programmer			email: [log in to unmask]
Advanced Decision Systems		Mountain View, CA