Sender:
From:
"Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1993 12:50:30 -0400
Ouch !  Well I warned our Ice Griffs that Fredonia St. has
a good team but since when do players listen to coaches. Fredonia
6 - Canisius  5 in the "shoebox" at the Nichols School.  I'm
here in my office looking at "horror" film of last nights
home disaster - fitting on Holloween weekend.

As I said Fredonia St. has a good team - and here some scouting
info for those SUNY folks out there listening.  They outshot
Canisius 40 to 28. (20 to 7 in the 2nd period).  Fredonia's
power play was 3 for 6 and was effective.  In coaching
terms they run an umbrella with
#2 Pinti at the top and
the other D
"D" moves down toward the net.  They also like to hit the
slot man from a pass from the sideboards.  Fredonia has
quick and strong forwards - their goaltending may be
suspect - but we spent a lot of the night in our own end.

One other thing - they were in remarkably good condition -
maybe having your own rink on campus and having the ice down
since September helps !  Hey, no sour grapes here - we were
outworked and the boys are in for a long...long.... week!

By the way here's the coaches poll in SUNY for what they
think will be the top teams this season

1993-94 SUNYAC ICE HOCKEY PRE-SEASON COACHES POLL
1. Plattsburgh   48
2. Fredonia      43
3. Oswego        34
4. Cortland      21
5. Potsdam       18
6. Brockport     16
   Geneseo       16
-- this was sent to me from Buffalo St. Sports Info
-- Fredonia (after seeing them last night) is good - how good ?
   as good as the goaltending holds up - especially against
   Plattsburgh's firepower.
-- Cortland ranked 4 is a suprise - they lost 12 key people.
-- Buffalo St. not ranked (probation year) as they are in
   1st year as VARSITY.

Lastly, Buffalo St. beat Geneseo St 4-2 last night in
Geneseo - for their 1st win as varsity - congrats to them.
They play at home tonite vs Fredonia.
The game tonite at Buffalo St. new rink will be the
first VARSITY college hockey contest held ON CAMPUS
in the Buffalo area. That's right folks !  It will
be interesting to see if it will bolster exposure
of all college hockey in the area.  Having the
aura of an on campus arena could spark (I hope)
other colleges to jump on the bandwagon in this
traditional football/basketball city.  Time will tell
but I hope they fill it to the rafters on a regular basis
and the media gets out to cover it.  It is a beautiful
rink and located right in the middle of their campus.

Brian Cavanaugh  (not in a good mood)
Canisius College

P.S. Anyone here the score of
1. RIT game last night