Sender:
From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 91 13:41:00 CST
David Parter writes:
 > Another thing which annoys fans (or maybe it pleases them because they
 > get more "evidence" that the ref is incompetent?) is when the call
 > doesn't match what they thought the call was ("Hooking?  That has an
 > elbow!" "High-sticking? How about holding?!" "Roughing? they call
 > roughing whenever they don't know what to call!"). From my perspective
 > (although I enjoy seeing if my call is the same as the ref's call) it
 > doesn't matter -- 2 minutes is 2 minutes. Perhaps a player feels
 > different and wants to know what he did (meaning what he got caught
 > for)?

I've wondered about that myself.  Why not just give 2 minutes for
"misbehaving" and be done with it?  The rulebook could be replaced by
an "etiquette book" (maybe "Miss Manners" could write it) that would
deliniate the differences between correct and incorrect behavior. :-)

-- Erik
Erik J. Biever                           --GOLDEN GOPHER   MMMMM    MMMMM
St. Paul, Minnesota - Home of the       --HOCKEY            MM MM  MM MM
1991 WCHA & NCAA Championships         --Politest Game     MM   MMMM   MM
BITNET:    e-biev@uminn1              --In Town???        MM   MMMMMM   MM
INTERNET:  [log in to unmask]                      MMMMM          MMMMM