Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 91 11:12:45 EST
Doug writes:
>Lt Rico Vitale says:
>>I was lucky enough to have a great seat for the LSSU vs SLU final game in
>>Lake Placid (1988).  It was a great game.  I also have a picture I took of
>>the shot predicating the melee in front of the net.  I seem to remember
>>seeing it go in, but it may have been the gaol judge light's influence.
>
>I too had great seats for this game.  My only memory was one of
>disappointment for the SLU fans as I felt the knocking of the net off
>the magnets by one of the Lake players in the late going was blatantly
>intentional and would otherwise have been a goal for SLU.

    After seeing these comments, I decided to dig out the tape and watch this
    again, and I guess you guys are referring to LSSU's Pete Stauber pushing
    his net off the magnets when SLU was pressing late in the game (although
    the puck was nowhere near the net).  For you Hockey East fans, the referee
    in the 1988 Championship was Frank Cole, notorious for refusing to call
    anything short of murder late in a close game.  (Not an abuse of Frank,
    just a statement of fact.)  Stauber's move was so blatant I think even
    he expected to get called for it.

    The *winning* goal (which, after all, was what this thread was titled)
    came in OT after a mad scramble in front of the SLU net, when Mark Vermette
    fired a shot that just missed being blocked by an SLU defender who was
    down on the ice.  I doubt Cohen ever saw it.  (That puck definitely went
    in.)

    - mike