Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1993 17:00:02 EDT
Hopefully, the list will pardon my dragging this out even further... as a
die-hard Cornell fan, I admit to getting more and more nostalgic for the
Big Red's incredible 1985-86 season the further away we get from it (and
especially after Cornell's 1992-93 disaster)...

I should probably look this up first, but as I recall, when Dave Crombeen
"scored" the goal against RPI, he had actually had TWO delayed penalties
called on him, since he took the trouble to hack at an Engineer player on
his way to the bench.  And although the goal was a bit of a shock (cutting
RPI's lead to 4-3), it didn't seem to bother the Engineers much at first --
I think they went on to score twice more before the end of the second
period, taking a 6-3 lead before coming apart in the third and losing in OT.

(Aha -- just tracked down the old post that Mike was referring to, and it
turns out RPI scored only once more in the second, during the power play
while Crombeen was serving his penalties.  So it was 5-3 going into the
third.)

And finally, no less an authority on the matter than Crombeen himself called
this "the prettiest goal of my career." :-)  (maybe only a half-smiley,
since that statement was probably quite accurate!)

Geez, the off-season sure is long... isn't it time we argued about bands
again?
--
Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and probably '94