Sender:
From:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 91 21:58:31 EST
Tonights first game of the McGinnis cup winter carnival series between
Michigan Tech and Denver has to be one of the strangest games I've
ever seen.
    After Kelly Hurd completed his hat trick and down 6-3 in the 3rd period,
Denver pulled its goalie with SIX minutes left in the period with a player
from each team in the box for 4 min roughing each.
    MTU proceded to score 3 empty net goals with denver leaving the goalie out
of the net until they got caught for too many men on the ice with just over
2 minutes left.  Darcy Martini scored MTU's 4th power play in 7 attempts with
35 seconds left to end the scoring....  final score 10-3  Denver was 0-5 on
the power play for the night (i think).
  The McGinnis cup is awarded to the team scoring the most goals in the 2
game winter carnival series in honor of the late John McGinnis MTU's greatest
coach.  And if we dont win it this year....... ie if we loose by 8 goals
tomorrow to this team I'll give up my 13 year season tickets! ;-)

  If i'm not mistaken NMU scored 25 goals on denver last weekend...thats 35
goals against for denver in the last 3 games  a horrendus goals against average
to say the least

The 3 stars of the game were given to the entire line of Kelly Hurd (25 goals
on the season and a hat trick tonight) Davis Payne (who scored 4 goals last
weekend) and John Young.  They combined for a total of 10 points tonight.

MTU now puts a 6 point spread between it and last place denver...and hoping
to make it 8 points tomorrow afternoon at 1:30   Go Huskies!

|   Bob Gilreath                            [log in to unmask]       |
|   Telecommunications Engineer             [log in to unmask]                |
|   Computing Technology Services           Phone: work 906-487-2110    |
|   Michigan Technological University              Home 906-296-0989    |
|   Houghton, Michigan  49931               Fax:        906-487-2787    |