Sender:
From:
John Feigal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 91 15:21:55 CDT

> Does anyone else find it as interesting as I do to note the domination
> of the Scoring list by the East (10 of 10) and the domination of the
> Goaltending list by the West (7 of 10)?  In a way, it makes it very hard
> to find meaning in these lists.  Am I really to believe that the top
> five offensive players in the country are in the ECAC?  I guess I'm
> wondering how hard it would be to assemble these lists while considering
> who the scorers and goalies faced and do some kind of weighting like
> Keith does in the computer ranking.  Any ideas?
>
> -Confused, Billerica

If I understand the rankings correctly, the top goaltenders are ranked
by their goals against average and the top scorers are ranked by
their average points per game.  If this is true, since the top
goaltending is in the West, then fewer goals are being scored per
game which means fewer points are being allocated on offense.  This also
implies that western teams don't have a single dominant scorer (i.e.,
one player scoring all the goals which would increase his points per
game average).  For example, Minnesota does not have one player which
dominates scoring night after night.  Lately, each game finds different
players picking up the scoring slack and many times a list of players
have scored single goals.

john feigal