Sender:
From:
Michael Burdick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 91 17:46:25 EST
>   From: "Steve M. Kapetanakis" <[log in to unmask]>
>   Subject:	  Re: BAD PENALTIES
>
>     I think it is safe to assume that we are all in agreement that if a player
>     intentionally injures or attempts to injure another player he should be de
>     with to the full extent of the rules.  But hockey is a contact sport, and
>     any contact sport accidents are going to happen.	I see no reason to start
>     punishing players if an opponent happens to dislocate a shoulder on a CLEA
>     check.  Or what if, God forbid, a rising slap shot strikes a goalie in the
>    head
>     and he suffers a concusion.  Should we suspend the player who shot the puc
>    for
>     a game or the season.  I would have to say NO.

The fact that hockey is a contact sport does not excuse actions of the players
if there was an intent to injure, especially if the injury comes from illegal
contact.  Illegal contact should be punished to the fullest extent of the rules,
whether it is intentional or unintentional, and whether it results in an injury
or not.