Sender:
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1993 13:11:56 EST
Brian Morris writes:

>Assuming
>RPI is in, (and if they lose to Clarkson, and then the consolation that would
>indeed be tenuous) one does NOT want to move the Engineers out West.  RPI
>has a
>fairly big contingent of the faithful who would be expected to travel to
>Worcester.  Harvard probably wouldn't bring as large a contingent, although
>BU
>would probably fill some empty seats.  Conversely, moving  Minnesota-Duluth
>and MSU out probably wouldn't detract from the attendance at the Joe,
>assuming
>Michigan would bring a large contingent and the Cheeseheads and Gophers bring
>their customary caravan of buses.  The East needs to avoid a repeat of last
>year's intimacy at Providence, and I would think that keeping RPI at
>Worcester
>would be a major consideration for the NC$$.

I have to disagree.  Remember, the east may have had poor attendance last
year, but the west was an absolute disaster.  I'm not convinced that
Michigan and Wisconsin are enough for good (over 50% capacity) attendance.
Also, I can't speak for MN-Duluth but my feelings are that they will not
bring many people to the regionals.  Most will probably take their chances
and hold out for Milwaukee.  Lasy year, Minnesota brough no one, I mean
NO ONE to Detroit.  It was so bad that my wife insisted that everyone
around her cheer for the Gophers (versus LSSU) because "I feel so sad for
the players.  NO ONE came here to cheer for them!"  I tried to remain
neutral (I count LSSU and Minnesota among my top five favorite teams)
because she was smacking anyone that she knew who was rooting for LSSU.

Also, many fair weather Michigan fans will be tuned to the basketball
tournament rather than hockey.

I think it will take an MSU to boost the attendance in Detroit this
year.

  John H
  U Mich