Sender:
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 91 15:28:30 EST

 >Did you see the game? Yes, I saw the game and the hit. What is so upsetting
 is all the checking/elbowing from BEHIND where the hitter pushes the hittee's
 head and neck into the boards. This may have been a "legitimate" check, but
 Hill's elbow was up and made definite contact with the back of Aikens neck.
 Aikens literally fell to the ice unconscious and limp. It was not pretty, and
 very disturbing.

 >You clearly think Hill is guilty. You bet I do. But the officials, by
 "letting them play" are also guilty and should be reprimanded also. The game
 was clearly on it's way out of control when this happened. And this has
 happened in other games between other teams. The officials need to tighten it
 up. Just because someone is a defenseman does not excuse them when they get
 alot of penalties. I guess I am just used to faster, cleaner hockey watching
 the Gophers.

 I also agree with Erik, this problem is not just a WCHA problem, I recall just
 recently seeing on a "Hockey USA" program a new rule about checking from
 behind--I believe in the CCHA, and if the officials fail to call it they could
 be suspended. (If anyone out in CCHA-land knows the specifics please type 'em
 in)

 I enjoy college hockey very much, with the exception of incidents like this.
 Carol White
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!