Sender:
From:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 91 12:33:56 CST
 From Carol White

> From the Star Tribune 1/24/91: Discipline for a Badger?
>
> 		 stuff deleted
>
> Denver upset the Badgers 6-3 in the first game, during which Hill, who is from
> Duluth, Minn., flattened Mike Aikens, a freshman from Rochester, Minn., with
> what has been called a "vicious" elbow. Aikens suffered a broken neck, two
> cracked vertebra and required fusion surgery this week. Hill was assessed only
> a minor penalty, but the videotape has been under review by the WCHA.(end)
>
> I personally would like to see some action taken when "incidents" of this
> nature occur. Usually it involves a player who is known for getting a large
> number of penalties. Whether it is intentional or not, (and I do believe most
> are not intentional) the league should make an example of the incident and
> discipline the guilty party. The fact that Hill only received 2 minutes for
> such a blatant hit to the head and neck just enrages me. The St. Paul paper
> stated that it was doubtful that Aikens would ever play hockey again.
> Comments anyone?
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	How could I refuse?

First, injuries of this sort always scare me.  I've never witnessed
one of this seriousness and I hope I never do.  But I have seen all
sorts of knee damage(cartilige), broken noses, and minor cuts from
innocuous no-check hockey.  Just because someone gets injured does
not mean there is a guilty party.

	Now on to the rest of your missile.
    ****The coach of Denver (Frank Serratore, sp?) called the hit vicious.
	Serratore also requested the commissioner review the videotape.
	A Denver teammate of Aikens' said it was just a normal check.
	(Source: Wisconsin State Journal)  I didn't see the game, so I
	reserve comment.  Did you see the game?

    ****Hill gets a lot of penalties.
	So what.  Hill is a defenseman.  Sometimes defenseman hold, clutch,
	and grab to prevent players from scoring goals.  This does not make
	them dirty players.  It is just the way the game is played.  That is
	why Hill gets a lot of penalties.

    ****Intentional or not.
	Good question.  It'll be very hard to answer but that is why they
	have hockey commissioners.  However, it is silly to mete out extra
	punishment to make an example unless it is clearly intentional.
	You clearly think Hill is guilty----read the excerpt from your post.

> are not intentional) the league should make an example of the incident and
> discipline the guilty party. The fact that Hill only received 2 minutes for
> such a blatant hit to the head and neck just enrages me. The St. Paul paper

	What is the basis for your argument?

The referee and the linesmen will be making a report to the commissioner.
He has the videotape.  Let's reserve comment to those who have seen the
incident.  IMHO.

A saddened badger,
mark grassl