Sender:
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 91 12:10:40 EST
 Last Friday the Wisconsin Badgers played at Denver. During the first period
 Wisconsin defenseman Sean Hill "elbowed" Denver player Mike Aikens. Aikens was
 knocked out and after being evaluated on the ice by the trainers and doctors
 he was carried from the ice immobilized by paramedics. Aikens said he lost
 feeling in his legs and had tingling up and down his spine. Today the
 Minneapolis and St Paul papers made comment on the incident.

 From the Star Tribune 1/24/91: Discipline for a Badger?

 The Badgers might not know until Friday whether or not they will have the
 services of defenseman Sean Hill, a high scorer and penalty collector. WCHA
 commisssioner Otto Breitenbach said the league's executive committee is
 reviewing possible discipline against Hill for an incident in last weekend's
 series against Denver.

 Denver upset the Badgers 6-3 in the first game, during which Hill, who is from
 Duluth, Minn., flattened Mike Aikens, a freshman from Rochester, Minn., with
 what has been called a "vicious" elbow. Aikens suffered a broken neck, two
 cracked vertebra and required fusion surgery this week. Hill was assessed only
 a minor penalty, but the videotape has been under review by the WCHA.(end)

 I personally would like to see some action taken when "incidents" of this
 nature occur. Usually it involves a player who is known for getting a large
 number of penalties. Whether it is intentional or not, (and I do believe most
 are not intentional) the league should make an example of the incident and
 discipline the guilty party. The fact that Hill only received 2 minutes for
 such a blatant hit to the head and neck just enrages me. The St. Paul paper
 stated that it was doubtful that Aikens would ever play hockey again.
 Comments anyone?

 Carol White
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!