Sender:
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1993 22:17:13 -0500
In Game 1 of their ECAC quarterfinal matchup, Clarkson defeated
St Lawrence, 3-1 in Potsdam.

Clarkson got on the board in the first period when Steve Palmer
put one past SLU goalie Brady Giroux to give the Knights a 1-0 lead.

In the second period, Brian Mueller (?) scored midway through to give
Clarkson a 2-0 lead. The period was delayed when a St Lawrence player
was apparently seriously injured about 4 minutes into the 2nd. He was
taken off on a stretcher. I wasn't able to see his name or number nor
have I heard a report on his status. Perhaps I will have details tommorow.

About 12 minutes into the 3rd, St Lawrence scored a powerplay goal to
close the score to 2-1. Clarkson killed off two power plays and on one'
of them Todd Marchant got a breakaway and nearly beat Giroux for a
shorthanded goal but just barely missed. The game went down to the
wire and SLU wasn't able to pull GIroux until about 30 seconds left.
Clarkson center Steve Dubinsky tallied an empty net goal with 9
seconds left to seal the game for the Golden Knights.

Chris Rogles was solid and made 21 saves for the Knights while Giroux
played well in recording 24 saves.

The two teams continue (hopefully conclude) the series tommorow night
in Potsdam at 7 PM.

In other ECAC action, Brown and Yale skated to a 3-3 tie in Providence.

Colgate was leading at RPI, 4-2 in the 3rd.