Sender:
From:
S Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1993 10:56:00 EST
The first game of the critical WCHA weekend series between the Michigan
Tech Huskies and the Northern Michigan Wildcats came off as advertised
last night at Marquette's Lakeview Arena.  "Playoff hockey" was the most
commonly used descriptor in the commentators' reports, and winning coach
Rick Comley of NMU said during the postgame interview, "There's not a
lot of yelling going on in that locker room right now.  There's a lot of
tired and bruised hockey players, and I'm sure the same is true on the
Michigan Tech side."

It was a fun evening.  Hockey-Ler Bob Gilreath of Tech and his wife Liz
came down for dinner and the game.  We were also joined by Tech faculty
member Walt Olson and his wife.  I've "met" Walt through another Bitnet
list, and am recruiting him for Hockey-L.  After showing the Olsons a
bit of the NMU campus and downtown Marquette, we adjourned to the
Vierling Saloon and Sampling Room where we joined forces with the
Gilreaths for a hearty pregame dinner.  Everyone was in high spirits.
(The Olsons brought me a Huskie coffee mug--whether or not I dare use it
in public around here remains to be seen.)

The game was a sellout and thus available on per-for-view TV locally.
As usual, there were in fact some empty seats due to season ticket
holders who don't show.  Nonetheless, it was a large and boisterous
gathering.

The entire game featured hard hitting, fast action and a fair number of
minor injuries and penalties, but it never got out of hand.  The Huskies
took the first lead at 12:53 of the first period when they mounted a
three-man rush on Wildcat goalie Corwin Saurdiff.  A nice relay pass
from John Young to Jim Storm coming down the left side resulted in a
shot which Saurdiff couldn't recover fast enough to stop.  Things were a
bit quieter after that, but just before the period ended Wildcat fans
woke up when Joe Frederick scored his 20th goal in just 17 games this
year when his hard shot off a rebound right in front of MTU netminder
Jamie Ram fought its way through and over Ram's glove into the net.

The Wildcats got the winning offensive effort immediately after the
start of the second period.  At 00:59 Brent Riplinger was the
beneficiary of a great effort by teammate Bryan Ganz, who checked a
Huskie off the puck behind the Tech goal.  The puck slipped out near
Ram's right side and Ripliner slipped it past him for a 2-1 Wildcat
lead.  Just 38 seconds later Ganz was rewarded for that effort (which at
least initially didn't give him an assist) when he maintained position
coming down the slot as Troy Johnson carried the puck in.  Johnson's
centering pass was quickly guided into the net to Ram's right by Ganz.
Later in the period the Huskies made it a one-goal game again with what
I'm coming to call a "that's hockey" goal, and in this case could be a
"two-cushion shot." MTU's Justin Peca blasted a shot at Saurdiff from
about eight feet in front; Saurdiff blocked it cleanly but the rebound
hit NMU defenseman Geoff Simpson in the leg and bounced into the goal.
I told Walt Olson that all Huskie fans, being the great sports they are,
should be ashamed of that goal, but he seemed to think it was just fine.

There was no more scoring, just lots of incredible goal tending by both
Ram and Saurdiff.  Ram was especially sensational during a big Wildcat
flurry in the third period, including among his efforts the snuffing out
of what looked like a sure-fire score by Mike Harding on a clean
breakaway.

An exciting, tough game--just what was expected, and is expected at
Houghton for tonight's rematch.  Saurdiff, who has been alternating with
freshman Paul Taylor was extremely impressive, and Comley when asked
about who would start in goal for the 'Cats tonight said he didn't know
yet.  A week ago he would have automatically said it was the other
goalie's turn.

For 24 hours, the game result and those of others in the WCHA last night
leaves Minnesota in third place two points ahead of NMU in fourth, with
Tech in fifth one point behind the Wildcats, St. Cloud one point behind
the Huskies in sixth and Denver falling to seventh.  Idle
Minnesota-Duluth remains in first, but second place Wisconsin closed the
gap between the Bulldogs and the Badgers by two points.

Scoring

First Period

1.  MTU, Storm (16) (Young), Wright), ppg, 12:53

2.  NMU, Frederick (20) (Hadden, Harding), 19:41

Second Period

3.  NMU, Riplinger (13) (unassisted), 00:59

4.  NMU, Ganz (8) (Johnson, Riplinger), 01:37

5.  MTU, Peca (12) ((Stevens, Mikesch), 13:51

Third Period

No scoring

Power play opportunities: NMU, 0-5; MTU, 1-7

Penalties: NMU, 12: MTU, 9

Goalie saves: NMU, 26 (Saurdiff, 8-12-6); MTU, 28 (Ram, 8-8-12)

Attendance: 4,246 (paid, SRO--sort of)

 *  Steve Christopher, NMU  [log in to unmask]             * * * *    *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey National Champions  1990-91   *   GO   *   *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey Final Eight 1991-92           *        *
 *  WCHA League Champions 1990-91                        * 'CATS! *   *
 *  WCHA Playoff Champions 1988-89/1990-91/1991-92 . . .   * * * *    *