Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1993 00:44:25 EST
I interviewed Hockey East commissioner Stu Haskell on the air in between
periods of Saturday's BU-Merrimack game, and it was quite interesting.  Stu
is a very nice guy and I've been impressed with the job he has done since
assuming the job as head of HE.  The only major disagreement I've had has
to do with relocating the league office to Orono, since I think it should
be located closer to more of the schools and media outlets (like when it was
in Boston), but I also understand the reason for having it in Orono - that's
where Haskell and asst. commissioner Nonni Daly reside.

One of the things we discussed was expansion of HE and UMass.  Stu said
that UMass has already been accepted into the league, although the
"official" line has been that the league will evaluate the program and then
decide whether to extend them an invite.  When I asked him about the
current scheduling which has the league split into two "divisions" of four
teams (where teams play 4 games vs each of the other 3 teams in their
"division", and 3 games vs each of the four teams outside their "division")
and how long that would continue, he said that it would only continue for
one more year, possibly two, depending on when UMass enters.  That suggests
that there is a chance that UMass would enter in 1994-95 instead of 1995-96
although it would seem to be a little early.  When UMass enters, plans are
for all teams to play 3 games vs each of the other 8 teams, thus keeping
the league schedule at 24 games.  I don't like the unbalanced scheduling
the way it currently is being done, and I think a good example of the way
it hurts teams is the fact that in the strong "division", Maine and BU
are 1-2 in the league while Northeastern and Merrimack are 7-8.

Also in response to my questions, Stu said that no other school has
expressed a serious interest in joining HE, and that there were no plans to
make UMass an affiliate member of HE as has been done with the Alaska
schools out West.

Stu was also excited about the new quarterfinal playoff format which has
the teams playing a best-of-two at the higher seed.  Both games will be
played in regular season format complete with five-minute overtime if
necessary, and if the series is tied at 1-1-0 or 0-0-2 after the second
game, then sudden death will be played to decide the series.  I asked why
it was decided to go to a two-day rather than a three-day (best-of-3)
format, and he said that the coaches & ADs thought that three straight days
of games was just too much to ask of the players.

I'd also like to include here two excerpts from THN (2/19/93) dealing with
new rink constructions at UNH and LSSU.

Larry Mahoney writes in his HE column:

"The University of New Hampshire's Snively Arena will soon have a new look
but it's unclear what kind of look it's going to have.

"According to Wildcats' coach Dick Umile, a $20-million bond issue has been
approved by the school to either build a new hockey arena and transform
Snively into a recreation center, or build a new recreation center and give
Snively a $5-7 million renovation.

"In either scenario, Snively's seating capacity will escalate to 6,000.
The rink currently holds 3,900 fans including standing room.  The
construction plans include a new lounge and dressing room facilities in
addition to concession stands.

"The price tag for a new arena would be approximately $8 million.

"Construction of the new complex - or renovation if that plan is chosen -
is expected to begin this fall and should take 18 months.

"Umile said school officials are debating to try to determine which plan
will give them more for their money.

"But the Wildcats' coach maintains building a new arena is the better
alternative.  A new arena could also be used for basketball and other
events such as concerts.

"Umile is excited about the proposals and credited UNH three-year president
Dr Dale Nitzschke with playing a huge role in the bond issue and other
positive developments on campus.

"'He has done an outstanding job', Umile said.

"The coach expects to be able to fill the 6,000 seats as the demand for
tickets has escalated in recent years."

(end)

And, Matt Carlson writes in his CCHA column:

"Discussions are underway to expand and revamp the Norris Center, the on-
campus arena of the Lake Superior State Lakers.

"According to Lake Superior athletic director Jim Fallis, several plans are
being examined to increase the capacity of the facility which currently
seats 3,733.

"'We're looking at anywhere from 4,200 to 4,900, all in chair seating," he
said.  'We're probably targeting in at about 4,500.'

"Seating would be extended completely around the rink to create a 'full
bowl' effect.  The defending NCAA champs would also get a rebuilt dressing
room, training facilities and offices.

"If everything goes according to plan, the remodeling will be completed by
1994-95."

(end)
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*