Sender:
From:
"Charles M. Shub" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1993 15:42:11 -0600
somebody seemed to pose that question earlier today.  The answer is
simple if one thinks about it.  Mike alluded to this in describing the
Merrimack tennis balls incident.

The games are for the PLAYERS, first and foremost.

sure, there are other beneficiaries including

A)  the institution in terms of revenue and prestige
B)  the fans in terms of enjoyment
C)  the bands in terms of being able to strut their stuff

probably pretty much in that order.

Games are big business.  Consider a 7000 seat arena with $10 tickets
and 16 home games.  That's an income stream of over a million bucks
for an athletic department.  When one adds the intangibles of alumni
support and prestige, things get hot and heavy and all sorts of
pressures are brought to bear.

Eric Hoffman said in a posting (paraphrased)
>  Ban the bands....  Don't throw things on the ice.....  Don't say or
>  use rude language or gestures.....  Don't get on the refs....
>  Don't get on the opposing team.....  Be good little boys and girls
>  and sit quietly with: your back straight; your hands folded in your
>  lap; and watch the nice boys play a nice game of hockey.  And when
>  its over, we'll walk single file back to our room and take a nap on
>  our mats.
> OR......
>  Beef up the bands.....  Throw things on the ice (when the players
>  and refs are not)....  Say and do whatever the hell you want..  Get
>  on the refs.....  Get on the opposing team.....  Be men and women
>  and stand and cheer; with your face paint on; your favorite teams
>  paraphenalia in your hands; and watch some nasty men play a violent
>  but sometimes beautifully fluid game of hockey.  And when its over,
>  walk to your nearest corner bar or pub and swill you drink of
>  choice or whatever until its time to do something else.
>
> Choose either version which ever suits you.  I choose the latter and I don't
> apologize for it :-) I think its the best way to watch and enjoy college
> hockey! (My opinion and mine only.)  Besides don't you think there's more
> important issues to deal with both in terms of hockey and life??

I think the reality is somewhere in between the two, and involves a
little recognition that your neighbors are not always like you.  Bands
are fine up to the point where they disrupt either the game or the
ability of fans to enjoy the game.  Throwing things on the ice should
be limited to hats for hat tricks or something that is known to the
officials and the staff ahead of time and has some sanction, be the
sanction widely known or not.  Rude language, probably not.  I
used to feel differently about that until I saw a friend visibly upset
by such language.  (details by request)  Go ahead and harangue the
refs and the opponents, but keep a level of decorum.  I've scored
several fantastic gotchas on officials and even gotten smiles from
them.

The issue is to show a bit of respect for others, be they your fellow
fans or somebody else.

charlie shub  --  [log in to unmask]  (719) 593-3492
   on leave at the University of Iowa    (319) 335-0739
           [log in to unmask]            (fax) 335-0627