Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1993 11:46:36 -0500
Sender:
From:
Big Wheels <[log in to unmask]>
        I was a member of the Clarkson U. Pep Band for the 90-91 and 91-92
seasons. (I quit for a multitude of personal reasons.) So I have heard
all the usual complaints about the band. I was even asked once if I could
"turn down" my sousaphone by some elder booster at a Cornell game @Cornell.
I think it is great to see elder alumni and locals and boosters come out
to see their favorite hockey team play. But the student sections, the bands,
and all their energy comes with the game. It was their choice to attend the
If it is too loud for their sensitive ears and sensabilities, then either
they should not come or wear earplugs and just enjoy watching the game.
Students tend to get very excited at these games and tend to forget the
nicities of society in their efforts to exhort their team. This
is unfortunate, but also a fact of life. Making rules against these
students is a mistake. I think it is unfortunate a school feels obligated
to ban any band at all, but it is totally outrageous to ban all bands
based on the actions of a few. Set down some minimum standards (e.g.
don't play during play (against NC$$ rules anyway), don't play over
another band, no obscenities, no throwing anything, etc.) and when
a band continually violate these standards then prohibit them for a
year or two. Generally this will sober them up a little.

A note to Keith Reynolds:
        Maybe you should send this and all the rest of the letters from
Hockey-L about this decision should be forwarded to the AD at Union.
Maybe all our eloquent postings would help sway their decision.

Ted Weiler
Clarkson U. '94 (I wish it would be '95)