Sender:
From:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 91 13:09:04 CST
Phil Ritzenthaler writes:
>I think Ohio State University may qualify as a division 1 school . . .
>what do you think?

Does that include the football team or was that the JV squad they sent
to the bowl game this year? :-)  Speaking of football, Wisconsin may
resort to scheduling Union College next year in an effort to get some
wins.

>So does BGSU and Miami . . . maybe Western Michigan . . . as far as the
>others, I'm not sure . . .

BGSU, Miami, and Western Michigan are all members of the Mid-American
Conference(MAC) for sports other than hockey.  The MAC may be small
compared to say the BIG 10 but it is Division I.

Lt. Matt Jonson writes:
><[log in to unmask] writes>
>> 5.)  Tutors and academic assistance must be provided to all athletes in Div
>> I sports.
>>
>Who funds this?  My tuition?  My tax dollars?  And the big devil's advocate
>question:

The athletic department.  I doubt your tuition covered the salaries of
your teachers much less someone else's tutors.  No, your tax dollars
go directly to the owners of defunct S&L's.

>Why does a division I athlete deserve any more academic assistance than
>any other given student...?

Maybe because the athletic department wants to keep them eligible.
Maybe the athletes miss class due to games.  Maybe the athletes can't go
to office hours due to practice.  I don't like to begrudge anyone the
chance to learn something extra through the use of tutors or academic
assistance.  The point is they are pushed to learn something.
But you may have a point, is academic assistance available to non-athletes?
From experience I would say many students just don't ask often enough for
help(shyness? embarassment?).

>During the Stanley Cup last year, we searched this town clean over to
>(we are in Montgomery) find someone who had satellite service that could
>receive a more northerly SportsChannel region.  We found two places.  At
>one, we were voted down in favor of basketball - but the other was very
>amused by us Yankees and allowed us to indulge our whim.

You have my sympathies.
Imagine being a soccer fan in northern Wisconsin during the World Cup.
"Soccer--who'd watch dat."  "Whose playin?  Cameroon?  Where's that, Asia?"

Mark Grassl
[log in to unmask]		**Your friendly commie, pinko soccer fan.**