Sender:
From:
"Charles M. Shub" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1993 12:35:44 -0600
from my wife, transcribed from the c-springs paper, probably without
permission...

after rules violations.

GT article

Brad Buetow, head hockey coach at CC since 1988 resigned Wednesday effective at
the end of this season.  The school acknowledged that three NCAA rules
violation were the primary reason.

Those infractions, plus a separate violation of CC's athletic department
policy, involved a campus visit two weeks ago by junior college goaltender
Jason Jiskra of Bottineau, N.D.

After a 12 day internal investigation, CC interim president Michael Grace
announced Buetow's resignation and confirmed an agreement allowing Buetow to
finish the season.

Grace said he was permitting Buetow to finish the season because "we owe a lot
to the players here," and because the school could not disprove the coach'e
claim that the violations were inadvertent.

Buetow had been on probationary contract status since a 60 day suspension last
fall for illegally diverting school funds to a volunteer assistant coach.

Max Taylor, CC's athletic director, said the school had been working with the
NCAA during the past 10 days regarding rules interpretations.

"Now we're going to let the NCAA know what steps we've taken, then wait to see
what their response is," Taylor said.

End.

It evidently included using frequent flyer coupons to get the kid
transportation as well as letting him practice with the team for a day when he
wasn't enrolled at CC.  The kid got in no trouble with the NCAA or the JCAA.

clara...

charlie shub  --  [log in to unmask]  (719) 593-3492
   on leave at the University of Iowa    (319) 335-0739
           [log in to unmask]            (fax) 335-0627