Sender:
From:
Keith Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1993 14:56:23 EST
The answer to the question of why did the Union fans throw oranges dates back
to about 1988. We had an away game at Hamilton College(Div III days). After
they scored their first goal, one of the Hamilton fans threw an orange at
our goalie from the stands. It hit him square in the mask. After that, the
Union faithful that attended that game decided that, like the Dartmouth fans,
the school's honor was at stake. So...at the next home game against Hamilton,
when we scored our first goal, the Union fans COVERED the ice with oranges.
I mean COVERED. Well, since we made the move to the ECAC, we no longer
play Hamilton. The fans here had lost a tradition, or had we? They decided
to pass the tradition on to the team they felt the most animosity towards.
Well, anyone who lives in the Capital Region of NY knows how much of a rivalry
there is between Union and RPI, hence the Engineers were the chosen ones.
This year's orange output was weak compared to a few years ago, but since than
the AD here has policed the problem quite well. In fact, this year, our
security force had a camera on the crowd, so that there will be more criminals
charged than just those who got tossed on Friday. IMHO, if it weren't for
colorful events like this in hockey, especially at the college level, the
sport would lose its luster to other sports like baseball...zzzzzzzzzzzz.
Oh well. I'm looking forward to Friday against Brown. Keith.
--
= [log in to unmask] (UNIX)     [log in to unmask] (Internet)=
=      "Beef"        [log in to unmask] (BITNET)   "Beef"           =