Sender:
From:
"S Christopher, Dean: Beh Sci, Hum Serv, & Educ" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 1992 17:06:16 EDT
As an occasionally put-upon and always-whimsical observer of the
faculty-administration drama in our halls of learning, I found the
following to be, well, provocative (but not surprising):

> As Jon mentions, Harkness broke a New England Small College Athletic
> Conference rule prohibiting coaches from visiting with recruits.  This
> happened in the spring of 1977, and when then-Union president Thomas Bonner
> confronted Harkness with the allegations, Harkness lied and said he had not
> visited the recruit.  A few days later, Harkness admitted to lying, and
> said, "I did it to save my team."  Well, he was suspended by Bonner but
> almost immediately reinstated by the Union board of trustees.
>
> The faculty were outraged by this, and they voted no confidence in Bonner,
> who then submitted his resignation to the trustees.  The trustees voted not
> to accept it at first, but Bonner eventually left the college.  Meanwhile,

Let me get this straight:  the president suspended the coach for his
misdeed.  Then the board reinstated the coach.  Then the faculty voted
no confidence in the PRESIDENT!  Hmmm . . . .

I can't resist saying this, although I KNOW I must preface it with the
information that I LOVE faculty, for 14 years I held full-time faculty
appointments, and I'm very
proud (and in fact insisted) that my administrative appointment here
includes faculty status and rank, and that I
see my number one priority as an academic administrator the assisting
of the faculty in the performance of their top-priority-to-us-all
mission: teaching, scholarship and service.  That said, the above
incident (if the facts are accurately recounted) reminds me of what
a fellow dean likes to say, "You can always count on the faculty to
do the right thing--after they've tried everything else first."

;-)

                     *      Steve Christopher, NMU       *
                    *  "Go 'Cats!''Goin' for it again in  *
                    *     '93--With a little less "O"     *