Sender:
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1992 08:41:08 EST
David Smith states that Michigan could match-up with LSSU in the NC$$ semi-
finals.  It is my undestanding that if Michigan makes it to the phinal phour
they would then play the team from the #2 eastern slot -- St Lawrence, New
Hampshire or Wisconsin.  Which is correct?

Regarding the above, if my information is correct Michigan has by far the
easiest path in the tournament.  Nothing against SLU, but Michigan doesn't
have to face Maine, Minnesota or LSSU until the championship game.

Also, Dave commented that if there was any justice, LSSU and Minnesota would
have gotten byes and Michigan the #3 seed.  I agree that Michigan came
through smelling like a rose and that LSSU deserves a higher seed than the
#3 they were given, but there's no way that Minnesota should be ahead of
Michigan.  They both played a decent schedule, won their regular season
conference crown and finished second in their conference tournament.  But,
Michigan swept Minnesota fairly easily in head-to-head play.  I'm not
saying that Michigan is better than Minnesota -- just that the facts are
in their favor.

As for the CCHA final, LSSU outworked Michigan and deserved the victory.
Congrats to the Lakers!  If Darrin Madeley gets on a roll, the NC$$ tourney
is history.  I don't think that any team (Maine, Minnesota, Michigan) has
enough firepower to beat a sharp Madeley.

Also, congrats to Dwayne Norris of Michigan State for receiving the CCHA
player of the year award.  Norris had a great season and deserves to be
recognized for it.  I'm not sure how he managed to get ahead of Madeley
and Felsner though.  As far as on-ice contributions, I have to rate them
1. Felsner, 2. Madeley, 3. Norris.  As far as value to their team (i.e
where would their team be without them) I'd say 1. Madeley, 2. Norris,
3. Felsner.  Anyway, Norris IS the winner and congrats to him.

John Haeussler
Univ of Michigan