Sender:
From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1992 01:20:53 EST
Comments:
(from Heather M Neely, SUNY at Plattsburgh (wts)...)

Well, what a sweet revenge it was.  For anyone who was in Elmira's Murray
Center for the ECAC Div. III semifinals and finals, it was a weekend of "on
-the-edge-of-your-seat" hockey.  Here are the scores from the weekend:

SEMIFINALS
Plattsburgh vs. Fredonia    7-5
Elmira vs. Mercyhurst       3-0

FINALS
Plattsburgh vs. Mercyhurst  6-3

       And in regards to Bill Fenwick's message re: Elmira notes, on game
location, and how Plattsburgh should indeed host, because of our first
place standing, thank you.  It was a six and 1/2 hour trip for us, and we
did fine.  Someone posted that Joe Bertagna said it would take Fredonia and
Mercyhurst 12-13hrs to travel to Plattsburgh.  Well, if Fredonia can do it
during the regular season, why should this be any different?  Besides,
that's a slight time exaggeration.  It does NOT take 12-13 hrs to get to
the "'Burgh" from Fredonia.  Anyway, I said that the Cardinals would go to
play hockey, and we did.
       Also, a note to those of you who did go, or those of you who at
least heard about it, here's an explanation.  Upon announcing the all-
tourney MVPs,  we were then presented with the ECAC plaque/trophy.  Our
Captain, Jim Duran, held it high above his head for all of the team and
fans (who took a bus down that day to cheer on their team, and returned
home that night) to see.  Then, he calmly placed the plaque at center ice,
and the team went to the locker room.  Many folks did not understand why
the team did that.  Well, it was to make a point to the ECAC that we did
not need a plaque to tell us that we won.  We played with class throughout
the season and the tourney.  We knew we did what had to be done.  We played
our entire season as a hard-working team, and when the ECAC told us we
would not be hosting the tournament, they took a part of our hearts and a
part of our dignity away.  Well we earned them back by winning the
championship game.  We were not going to formally accept a trophy in the
Murray Center for winning a tournament that never should have been played
there in the first place.
       Re: the SUNYAC pulling out of the ECAC, the SUNYACs are not going to
participate because our own SUNYAC tourney will be two weekends, rather
than one, like in the past.  If I hear anything further, I'll post it.

Heather Neely                       "Let's go Cardinals, Let's go!"
SUNY-Plattsburgh Class of'92               "Big Red Rollin'!"
Mgr.-Cardinal Hockey Team

<NEEL5408.SPLAVA.CC.PLATTSBURGH.EDU

P.S.  RE: How's Cam?:-)
      Cute.  I wish I knew!