Sender:
From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1992 09:40:19 EST
From the CCHA Saturday night

Ohio State 5 U. Illinois-Chicago 3
Ferris State 5 Bowling Green 1
Lake Superior 3 W. Michigan 2
Michigan State 7 Miaimi 2

At UIC
               1   2   3--T
Ohio State     2   0   3--5
Ill-Chicago    1   2   0--3

FIRST PERIOD

Scoring
1. OSU Riedel (Walsh) 3:17
2. OSU Schriner (Baldrica) 8:25
3. UIC Finn (Smiley, Knorr) 19:52

SECOND PERIOD

4. UIC Bessert (Finn, Dennis) 2:59
5. UIC Kenor (Maher, Hextall) 6:55

THIRD PERIOD

6. OSU White ((Loney, D.Smith) :45
7. OSU D.Smith (Loney, Walsh) 14:59 (pp)
8. OSU Loney (D.Smith) 18:46 (en)

Shots

              1   2   3--T
Ohio State   11  10  10--31
Ill-Chicago  10  17  10--37

Saves

OSU Bales (37 shots, 34 saves)
UIC Holland (30shots, 26 saves)

A-3233

Only some brief thoughts since I wasn't there.  Two weekends ago, OSU was 6
points behind BGSU with only 4 games remaining and a game in hand on the
Falcons.  To at least clinch a tie with BG, They would have to gain six more
points through either 3 wins and three Falcon losses, or a sweep of their final
four games combined with only one Falcon win.  I figured the Falcons would win
once in their finaal three;so, I felt the sweep was necessary.

The problem was, OSU had to play LSSU twice, and the go to UIC.  They had not
beaten the Lakers in about 17 tries, and the Bucks had only won one road game
in the league sporting a dismal 1-13 mark in other arenas. I gave them about
state lottery odds of pulling off the needed wins to gain the pllayoff spots.
However, the guys came out and played with heart and with pride over the last
two weekend, not wanting to be the ones to end OSU's string of nine consecutive
playoff appearances.  I don't know if Welsh's idea of using only three lines
put the fire in them or not, but he does deserve some of the credit even though
I still think he is not the right person to guide this program to the next
level.

In addition to getting only their second and third league road wins of the
year, OSU finally had a strong third period and erased an opponents lead
instead
of the other way around.  Three unanswered goals from the people you would
expect to step up and take charge, frosh. Brian Loney, Junior Ron White, and
the ever popular senior Dave Smith (Who extended his scoring streak to 23
games).  Congratulations guys, you deserve it.  Now, continue the string of
improbable play in that state up North! (They sank the Lakers , maybe they can
trap the Wolverines too.)

--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95