Sender:
From:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:14:36 -0400
I think that I asked this question the last time that we had a
Title IX thread.  However, I don't think that I received an answer,
so this is as good an idea as any to ask it again.  One of the
aspects of Title IX, as it has been related here, is that the
amount of money expended on men's and women's sports must reflect
the percentages of men and women in the student body.  Does anyone
know how this applies to D-III schools playing in D-I in Hockey?

That is, there is no cost for women's sports that correspond to the
athletic scholarships awarded to male hockey players.  (I think
that SLU is the only D-III school with both a women's and a men's
D-I hockey team.)  Does this mean that the costs of 18 athletic
scholarships must be counted against some other expenditures for
women?  Maybe this explains how RPI can have almost the same number
of men's and women's athletic teams despite having a male-to-female
ratio of 3-1 or 4-1 without being not in compliance in a reverse
sense with Title IX.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74
It wasn't 3-1 when I attended.