Sender:
From:
Brian Helland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:58:47 -0600
I want to throw my 2 cents into this whole debate over the status the MAAC
should (or should not have) with the NCAA Tournament.

We are making this more complicated than it needs to be.  From what I
understand, the selection process for at-large bids is supposed to be based
on the power ratings that a computer spits out.  Strictly by the numbers.

The way I see it, if Quinnipiac qualifies for an at-large bid based on the
current rating system, they should get an at-large bid.  No if's, and's, or
but's.  No whining and crying from the "big-time" conferences should be
listened to or tolerated.

I can just feel the flames hitting my In-Box folder now.  "They're not
legitimate!", "Their conference is a joke!", ect.  Well, that's just too
bad.  Quinnipiac didn't design the power rating system, the NCAA did.  If
the rating system is flawed, then fix it during the off-season.  But don't
change the rules just to exclude a particular conference.  Quinnipiac
shouldn't be penalized for the actions and decisions of other people (the
designers of the ratings system, the schools who refuse to play MAAC teams,
ect).  If they qualify under the current system, they should get in.  Bottom
Line.

Would Quinnipiac get destroyed in the NCAA Tournament?  Perhaps, but that
would then provide an incentive to fix what is wrong with the rating system.
 We learn more from our mistakes than our successes.  If letting in a MAAC
team exposes a fatal flaw in the rating system, then it is worth it.  But if
we don't try, we'll never know.

If the MAAC is ever to become "legitimate", then the conference must be
allowed to play by the same rules as the other four conferences.  They must
have the same rights and responsibilities as the other four conferences.
That means established programs should include some games with MAAC teams
and if a MAAC team qualifies for the NCAA Tournament under the same rules as
everyone else, they should be included.

Should the MAAC get an automatic bid?  Absolutely Not.  The MAAC is clearly
not deserving of an automatic bid.  Many of their teams are just a couple of
years removed from Division 2 or 3.  It will take a long time for the MAAC
to establish itself (like the CCHA before it).  But MAAC teams should be
able to compete for at-large bids.  Anything less would threaten the
legitimacy of our sport as a whole.

I welcome any comments.

Brian
(GO SIOUX!!!)