Sender:
From:
Jeff Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:44:45 -0500
Alright, if we list the Top 25 why not list the Top 50.  That way everybody
can see their team listed.

My point is the Top 10 exists as status symbol.  To be included in the Top
25 would be meaningless.  If you are in the Top 10 at the end of the year it
usually means you are heading to the NCAA's.  The same thing exists for
basketball, football (bowl appearence), etc for their respective Top 25.  Do
you think anyone is going to promote the fact that they are the 25th team in
the nation out 50?

To elaborate on a previous point made by someone else, The Top 10 is usually
pretty easy to separate.  Only a few teams are slighted from inclusion and
they are listed as receiving votes.  Can you imagine trying to chose from
25-30 teams to find another 10 to round out a Top 25.  All with about
.400-.600 winning percentages.  It would be a pointless exercise.

Sure, the new programs will be slighted for several years.  If I'm not
mistaken I think I saw Niagara getiing some consideration this season.  You
have to earn your way into the Top 10, you would be given a Top 25 ranking.