Sender:
From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1992 14:10:47 CST
Jeff Horvath writes:

> It seems to me that the higher the glass, the more prone the players will be
> to use it to bank shots out of their zone and, thus, the more 3-dimensional
> the game becomes.  However, I don't know that this would be a noticable
> difference if the glass were an additional 2 or 3 feet higher.  Has anyone
> who's witnissed a 'high glass' game noticed any difference in style of play?

Maybe there could be a plexiglass dome over the entire rink, with all rebounds
from the dome being live and in play.  The game would be REALLY 3-dimensional
then.

ADVANTAGES:
  Spectators and media personnel would be protected from flying pucks.
  Players and officials would be protected from debris thrown by spectators.

DISADVANTAGES:
  Danger from overhead rebounds, making helmets even more important.
  Goalies' task becomes even more difficult.
  Heat and ventilation problems.  Phew!

Submitted as a modest proposal for further evaluation...

-- Erik