Sender:
From:
Chris Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1992 12:36:01 -0500
Mike M. writes:
>At UNH, the visiting radio stations work from the balcony behind the home
>net (while the home station gets a center ice vantage point - nice, huh).
>There is no big net hanging to stop shots from going onto the balcony like
>in most rinks.  So, as we go on the air before warmups have ended, we have
>to keep our eyes on every shot while doing the pregame.

Mike (and all the other visiting radio people) will be happy to know that
there *will* be a net behind that net fairly soon.  A week or so ago I heard
that UNH finally "gave in" and plunked down the money (which was
apparently quite substantial) for the net.  It is currently very dangerous,
not just for the radio people, but also people milling around at that end of
the rink.  Last weekend's UNH-NU game started about an hour late because
Northeastern's bus broke down.  That meant that the pre-game warmup was
viewed by the sellout crowd.  The concession stand is at that end of the ice,
and I saw several people get hit (none seriously, thankfully) by errant
shots/deflections while waiting in line.

And one last fish-related story.  The fish-thrower is traditionally a member
of the Theta Chi fraternity at UNH.  This year's thrower has quite a voice,
and has sung the national anthem before the last two home games.  I think
he's the best singer we've had all year :-)

Chris
Go Blue!